You will report into the Head of PR & Content who will support you on:
- Day to day client strategic and tactical issues
- Weekly check-ins on client happiness
- Being an escalation point on projects
- Support on new/existing business leads and joint pitches
- Support with project and launch planning
- Personal development plans for the team
- Monthly and quarterly one-to-ones for the team
What does this role look like day to day?
This role will mean you are exposed to all accounts when it comes to media relations and link building:
- You will be accountable for the quality of work delivered by your team, always ensuring we’re meeting and exceeding client expectations and making a difference to their business
- You will be involved in brainstorming and reviewing campaign ideas to ensure they are newsworthy and have strong media hooks
- You will be there to support the team by helping to create stories for press releases and comments
- You will review media/prospecting lists, pitch emails and creative copy to ensure they are high quality and represent our clients well
- You will ensure we’re GDPR compliant when it comes to handling journalist data
- You will always be looking for opportunities to improve our processes, systems and tools for outreach across all clients
With successful growth of the team, it is expected that the natural evolution for the individual in this position will be to work towards a Head of PR position and to report directly into Director level and manage team leads, consultant and executives.
About the role
An intangible, but a crucial part of the role will be leading those around you to do their best work.
- Setting an example with everything you do – from client communication through to deliverables through to handling difficult situations
- Understanding that you’re always “on stage” when it comes to your team
- Dealing with problems in a thoughtful, logical way – even when your team are struggling
- Knowing when to let your team vent to you and when to bring them back to the issues that need to be fixed
- Knowing the balance between supporting your team and delivering against the objectives of the company
Objective – increase staff happiness and retention.
Client delivery – link building and outreach planning
You will oversee the delivery of all your teams work at Aira, specifically link building, outreach and media launches. You must ensure that all work is delivered on-time, on-budget and helps clients meet their business objectives. This will include supporting your team to:
- Understand each client’s objectives and KPIs and how many links are needed to hit that goal
- Lead on media relations launch plans and follow through various outreach stages to secure coverage and links across client campaigns
- Have an ‘always on’ attitude to outreach and focus on building long-term relationships with the media
- Communicate effectively with clients to the level they expect, keeping them up to date with work, progress, and reporting
- Consider tools and platforms in which you can make the team more efficient and increase performance
Objective – increase client retention and link outputs
Team training and development
You will support your team with their training, development and progression plans. This will be a key part of your role and an area where you will be expected to give your team as much support and freedom to grow as possible. This will include:
- Setting clear objectives to help them grow their skill set and experience in a way that adds value for their career and to Aira
- Identifying areas where shared or individual training (external or internal) would be needed
- Where appropriate, supporting your team to market themselves by blogging, running internal training and speaking at conferences
Objective – increase team happiness and broaden their skillset.
Aira is a business and has to make profit in order to allow us to grow and provide our team with the salaries, working environment and support that they need. Your role will take on accountability for the profitability of the projects that your team work on. This will include:
- Understanding the drivers of profit for Aira and our business model
- Knowing when it’s “ok” to be less profitable on a project in favour of other benefits to Aira
- Reviewing the time we spend on outreach projects vs. the revenue it generates
- Identifying areas where we are under or over delivering for clients and working with Account Managers to make changes where required
- Ensuring that commercial performance and profit is understood by your team
Objective – ensure that all projects are being delivered in a profitable way.
You will lead the hiring process for new members of your team. This will include:
- Identifying when more resource is needed within your team, including being able to see gaps in skill sets
- Leading the interview process and involving other members of your team when required
- Understanding the cost of hiring to Aira and taking this into account when making decisions
- Having an eye for spotting talent
Objective – grow the team with new talent with each new hire adding more value to your team and Aira as a whole.
You will play a key role in the sales process, with a strong focus on cross-selling where possible and up-selling to existing clients. You will also work on new business leads where required. This will include:
- Working with your team to help them understand how to spot up-sell and cross-sell opportunities – but always keeping the client’s best interests and interests in mind
- Proactively digging into key accounts to understand where we can help them meet their business objectives with different (or more) services
- Working with the Head of Operations and Head of Content and PR to fully understand all of our services
- Working on digital PR & content leads and upsell opportunities with the Head of PR & Content
Objective – increase revenue from existing clients.
- You will have at least three years experience in a senior PR role, ideally within an agency
- You will have experience working directly with clients and stakeholders to deliver PR campaigns and be able to demonstrate the results you’ve achieved
- You will have line managed a team and have day-to-day experience of supporting those around you
- You will have strong account management/project management experience involving the delivery of digital projects with lots of moving parts and stakeholders
- Experience defining and delivering launch and outreach strategies and mapping these strategies to business objectives
- Ability to pitch ideas and get stakeholder buy-in for new ideas and initiatives
What you’ll get
We believe in creating a great place to work and reward our team for contributing to the growth of the company. As well as a relaxed, supportive environment, you’ll get:
- Unlimited (yes, unlimited) annual leave
- A new shiny MacBook
- A big second screen
- Team lunch at Nandos on your first day (and random days after that!)
- Your birthday off
- Endless supply of tea, coffee and biscuits
- Regular personal development and concrete plans on how you can progress and grow within the company
- Free parking permit in central Milton Keynes
- Opportunities to speak at industry events and our own MKGO event
- Mental health in the workplace support thanks to our partnership with Sanctus
We’re a small, fast growing agency based in Milton Keynes specialising in digital marketing, web design and development. Our clients range from small local businesses to large companies around the world in the US, Europe and Australia. We’re at an exciting stage of growth with new projects starting all the time and big opportunities for the right people.
Recruitment agency? We know you’ll ignore this, but on the off-chance you have got this far, please don’t call. If you do, we may swear at you. We use our own networks to recruit and it has worked great so far. If that changes, we’ll be sure to let you know.